This is a recipe I’ve had since I was a child and is still a favourite with kids today. It smells good enough to eat, so be sure to keep an eye on your little ones to make sure they are playing with the playdough not eating it.
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Salt
- 2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/2 or 2 TBSP Vegetable Oil ~ I have used both measurements successfully and love how soft it makes the dough feel.
- 1 – 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground Ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan ~ I like to mix the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients separately.
- Stir until your mixture resembles cake batter. It may still have a few lumps in it at this point.
- Cook slowly over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- It shouldn’t take too long for the mixture to thicken…continue stirring.
- Once the mixture forms one large “clump” (I’m sure that is the technical term) you are good to go. Simply remove the dough from the heat, and knead by hand until smooth.
This recipe makes about 2 cups of Gingerbread Play Dough.